A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds.
• Almost five children die everyday as a result of child abuse. More than three out of four are under the age of 4.
• It is estimated that between 60-85% of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates.
• 90% of child sexual abuse victims know the perpetrator in some way; 68% are abused by family members.
• Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
• 31% percent of women in prison in the United States were abused as children.
• Over 60% of people in drug rehabilitation centers report being abused or neglected as a child.
• About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse ...view middle of the document...
• Abused children are 25% more likely to experience teen pregnancy
• Abused teens are 3 times less likely to practice safe sex, putting them at greater risk for STDs
• Top ↑
Children who have been sexually abused are 2.5 times more likely to abuse alcohol
• Children who have been sexually abused are 3.8 times more likely develop drug addictions
• Nearly two-thirds of the people in treatment for drug abuse reported being abused as children
Everyday, a report of child abuse comes every ten seconds. Five children die daily because of child abuse. And that’s saying something. Think, youths like us are dying and being treated unfairly, in a harmful way. It’s not just physical injuries, it’s emotional long-term damage. It should not hurt for children to be alive; we should speak out for people our own age too.
There are many bad side effects that come with child abuse. They include abusing alcohol, treating their own children in the same way, doing drugs, or getting STDs. Statistics say that 80% of 21 year olds that were abused in their childhood had at least one psychological disorder; and close to two thirds of the people in treatment of drug rehabilitation were abused as a child. That’s just disgusting.
As you know, babies are delicate. If one little thing goes wrong, they may be damaged greatly, and I’m not even talking about the big things. Child abuse can also include infants being treated cruelly. Shaking a baby may cause Shaken Baby Syndrome, a permanent effect that may lead to oxygen deprivation, brain damage, and internal injuries. It is very important not to hurt a baby.