Review questions Chapter 3. Analyzing an Industry
1. What step in the prescribed strategic management process includes analyzing an industry/
2. What is economic context of strategic industry analyses?
3. What are four business planning situations when a formal strategic industry analysis is especially useful?
4. What is the definition of an industry?
5. How does a global industry differ from a multidomestic industry?
6. What are three approaches for defining the target industry for a strategic industry analysis?
7. What industry definition approach is especially ...view middle of the document...
What are the four elements of the marketing mix?
21. What does an evaluation of pricing activities within an industry seek to determine?
22. What is the definition of promotion? Is public relations often considered promotion?
23. What is an industry-wide threat? an industry-wide opportunity?
24. What are three issues and factors associated with industry-wide threats and opportunities that should be evaluated?
25. What does it mean to identify an industry as capital intensive?
26. In what type of industry do firms in national/separable markets independently?
27. Why are some industries multidomestic?
28. What are some industries global?
29. What is the purpose of the conclusions section of a strategic industry analysis?
Appendix 3.1. Porter excerpt from 1979 article "How Competitive Forces Shape Strategy"
1. What are the five competitive forces that shape the strategy of firms in an industry?
2. What is the essence of strategy formulation?
3. What determines the state of competition in an industry?
4. What do(es) the strongest competitive force or forces...