Persuasive Speech Outline
December 2, 2015
General Purpose: To persuade
Specific Purpose: To persuade my audience that abortion is considered taking another person’s life and should illegal for all cases.
Central Idea: Abortion is wrong and unethical.
I. Attention Material
A. Do you know that during the time most unborn babies are aborted, they are a size of a quarter?
B. According to United States abortion statistics, one baby is aborted every 26 seconds, 137 every hour, 3,304 every day, 23,196 every week, 100,516 every month and 1.206,192 every year in the United States alone.
II. Orienting ...view middle of the document...
The reasons I found while doing my research is nothing to write home about.
A. 74 percent say having a baby would interfere with work, school, or other responsibilities.
B. 73 percent say that they cannot afford to have a child.
C. 48 percent say that they do not want to be a single parent, or have relationship problems with husband or partner.
D. Less than 1 percent say they became pregnant as a result of rape or incest.
(Transition: let’s discuss the reasons why women should not have an abortion)
III. No matter what the case may be, it is not the child’s fault and they shouldn’t have to pay for what they know nothing of.
A. It violates civil rights, which is the right to life. Unborn children are deprived of this right. They are discriminated based on their location which is their mother’s womb. (Action Live News)
B. It is not empowering or liberating for women.
1. As a woman, I find it terrible that abortion is classified as part of “women’s rights.” It is not my “right” to kill my child.
2. Letting a child suffer a death in which their spine is sucked into a tube, limbs torn apart and heart is stopped through poison is not liberating.
3. These choices ought not to be choices at all. They are cruel tragedies for all involved, and they should not be permitted in a civilized nation. Women do not receive freedom through the blood of their children.
C. Fetuses feel pain during abortion procedure.
1. Bernard N. Nathanson, MD, the late abortion doctor who renounced his earlier work and became a pro-life activist, stated that when an abortion is performed on a 12-week-old fetus, “we see the child’s mouth open in a silent scream, this is the scream of a child threatened imminently with extinction.”
D. Abortion reduces the number of adoptable babies.
1. Instead of having the option to abort, women can give their unwanted babies to people who cannot conceive.
2. The percentage of infants given up for adoption in the US declined.
(Transition: There are side effects that are frequently experienced after an abortion.)
IV. Women just get abortions without looking at the effect of it.
1. Journal of public health found that young adult women who undergo abortion may be at increased risk for subsequent depression.
2. BMC Medicine found that women who underwent an abortion had “significantly higher” anxiety scores on the hospital anxiety and depression scale up to five years after the pregnancy is terminated.
3. Even men go through depression sometimes. Studies have shown that men whose...