THE ACCEPTABILITY OF TABTABA (Nostoc Verrucosum) AS AN ADDITIVE IN MAKING COOKIES
This chapter presents a discussion of the research design that comprises the sampling design, population sample, ingredients, materials, procedure, data gathering instruments and statistical treatment of data.
The single-group research design will be used in this study to determine the acceptability of Nostoc as an additive in making cookies. There will be three (3) treatments. The independent variable in the study will be the amount of Nosotc incorporated in the plain cookie. The dependent variables are the taste, appearance and aroma of the Nostoc cookie.
100 grams butter 125 grams of plain flour
50 grams caster sugar 1/2 teaspoon salt
60 grams brown sugar 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 large egg At least 200 grams of ...view middle of the document...
3. Add egg and vanilla essence and mix them all together well.
4. In a separate bowl measure out the flour, salt, and bicarbonate of soda.
5. Now add the dry ingredients to the sugary egg-butter mix and use a whisk to mix them all together well.
6. Stir in the dried nostoc.
7. Drop the mix in tablespoon-sized scoops onto the baking trays. Remember to leave plenty of space between scoops.
8. Pop them in the oven and bake until they go golden brown, and the centers are still slightly soft to the touch. It's going to take about 12 to 15 minutes.
9. Take them out, leave them to sit for 5 minutes then pop them on a cooling rack.
There will be 10-15 individuals who will be selected as respondents to evaluate the product through availability sampling.10 to 15 students of Special Science Class were randomly selected to taste the acceptability of the resulting product.
Data Gathering Instrument
The data gathering instrument used will be the evaluation checklist. Each respondent will be given a checklist where he/she will be evaluating the Nostoc cookie, in terms of appearance, aroma and taste. The checklist will be used as basis in scoring the evaluation.
The Nostoc cookie will be rated using the Nine (9) - Point Hedonic Scale which is shown below:
Enjoy to a very high point
Like very much
Emphatic way of accepting or saying yes to something
Neither like nor dislike
Not interested on both alternatives
Dislike Very Much
Emphatic way of not accepting or saying no to something
Not accepted to a very high point
In the evaluation, to determine the level of acceptability of the Nostoc cookie in terms of texture, palatability, and appearance, weighted mean will be used.
The t-test will be used to determine the rate of acceptance of the Nostoc cookies.