December 11, 2011
In a world where equality is only stated as practical points to embrace the sentiments of society, one can look beyond the vale and see such practicality will never exist. When we look at the statement which echoed from the mouth of Thomas Jefferson in the declaration of independence “all men are created equal” we see that such never cross the color and gender line.
Due to the increase pressures for equal opportunity for all regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin or age, employers were force to enact policies which covers areas of discrimination. These actions open the door for corrections of ...view middle of the document...
Adding to that, you must locate not only minority candidates who are qualified but also those who with reasonable amount of training of physical accommodation, who can be made to qualify for job openings Bohlander & Snell, 2007.
To implement these policies as a basis for establishing an affirmative action program, the following according to the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) must be satisfied;
* Provide an organizational profile that graphically illustrates your workforce demographics.
* Establish goals and timetables for employment of underutilized protected classes
* Develop actions and plans to reduce underutilization, including initiating proactive recruitment and selection methods
* Monitor progress of the entire affirmative action program
Given the nature of this compliance it is my further recommendation that you follow these basic steps when developing an effective affirmative action program:
* Issue a written equal employment opportunity policy and affirmative action commitment.
* Appoint a top official with responsibility and authority to direct and implement the program.
* Publicize the policy and affirmative action commitment.
* Survey present minority and female employment by department and job classification.
* Develop goals and timetables to improve utilization or minorities and women in each area where underutilization has been identified.
* Develop and implement specific programs to achieve goals.
* Establish an internal audit and reporting system to monitor and evaluate progress in each aspect of the program.
* Develop supportive in-house and community programs.
While these recommendations are designed to foster a more diverse and balance workforce, it is important for all line and human resources manages to understand the seriousness of the equal employment opportunity laws and the affirmative action policies. The need for legal safe guard and protection from federal prosecution must be first and foremost within the minds and focus of all managers and supervisors. The level of fairness must at all time be employed during their daily work...