QUANTITATIVE METHODS – I
PROJECT : ANALYSIS OF AUTO TRAFFIC TO IIM-KOZHIKODE CAMPUS
GROUP : 26
1. MONISHA MEHROTRA - 26
2. USHA BHAKUNI - 57
3. PARTH LIMBACHIYA - 89
4. TARA RAJAGOPALAN - 120
5. M.ROHIT - 151
6. SULAGNA DATTA - 183
This project was undertaken to document and analyze the number of autos entering the IIM Kozhikode campus. We felt it was important to undertake this project because, it’s a very pertinent and relevant issue for the student community of IIMK.
Students often need to go out for various reasons, that include groceries from Reliance Fresh, Beauty ...view middle of the document...
I. Auto volume by Destination : | |
1. Hostels that see most travel volume are J and H. |
2. Hostels that see least travel volume are B, F and K2. 3. Hostels see much more travel volume than non-hostels. |
1. The reason for J seeing maximum number of autos coming in could be because it has maximum number of inmates. It has x number of rooms, on a triple sharing basis. Since he number of people are more, naturally the number of travel instances are more. |
2. The hostel H sees a lot of travel volume because it is a central point on the campus - close to the H mess, Madcom store and academic block. This is probably why people find it convenient to state H as their destination point. |
3. The hostels B, F and K2 are single occupancy hostels. Also, they are occupied primarily by PGP16 students, who had their mid-term exams in the month on August. Many of them also have their own vehicles. This could be the reason for low volume of travel.4. The reason for hostels seeing more auto traffic than non-hostels because the number of hostels is much greater than the number of non-hostels. |
II. Auto volume by Time Interval
1. Entry of autos by hour of the day
2. Entry of autos by time period (dividing the entire day into 8 periods of three hours each)
3. Entry of autos by quarter (dividing the day into four quarters)
1. The most number of autos are seen at 16:00, 19:00 and 17:00 hours. The period of the day where most auto traffic is seen is also the third quarter of the day, from 12:00 hours in the afternoon to 17:00 hours in the evening.
2. The least number of autos are seen at wee hours of 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00 in the morning. The period of the day where least auto traffic is seen is also the first quarter of the day.
3. There is a sudden increase in auto traffic from 4:00 hours in the morning to 5:00 hours.
1. Since on an average, classes for PGP17 and PGP16 end in the evening time from 16:00 to 19:00 hours, it is only logical that the number of autos in that period is maximum.
2. The least number of autos is in the first quarter of the day because that is the period where least activity is seen.
3. The sudden increase in auto traffic from 4:00AM to 5:00 AM can be attributed to the fact that a lot of overnight buses and trains arrive at that time in the morning. Hence incoming traffic is only likely to see a sudden spike.
III. Auto volume to specific destinations
1. To Hostel J, we can see that maximum auto traffic is during the third quarter of the day from 16:00 hours to 19:00 hours as we saw in Part II.
2. To Hostel H, we can see that maximum auto traffic is during the period from 19:00 hours to 21:00 hours.
1. As explained in Part II, J hostel sees most traffic in the typical quarter of the day. This is...