Arunachalam Muruganantham, from Coimbatore district in Tamil Nadu, is a social Entrepreneur who decided to disrupt the period industry, especially for developing countries like India, where cost of sanitary napkins is not affordable to most women. He says that only 7% of the Indian women use the modern-day sanitary napkins and his target is to make the remaining 93% have access to really cheap sanitary napkins. After taking four years painful research, A.Muruganantham has designed, created, tested and implemented a sanitary napkin-making machine that operates on a small scale. Contrary to a large-scale production model which requires Rs.3.5 Crores as initial investment, Muruganantham’s sanitary napkin-making machine can be made available to a buyer for approximately ...view middle of the document...
He can now make 1,000 napkins a day, which retail for about Rs. 12.5 for a package of eight. Though he’s won numerous awards (and won his wife back) he doesn’t sell his product commercially. "It’s a service," he says. His company, Jayaashree Industries, helps rural women buy one of the Rs. 1,25,000 machines through NGOs, government loans, and rural self-help groups. "My vision is to make India a 100% napkin-using country," said Muruganantham at the INK conference in Jaipur. "We can create 1 million employment opportunities for rural women and expand the model to other developing nations." Today, there are about 600 machines deployed in 23 states across India and in a few countries abroad. The machine and business model help create a win-win situation. A rural woman can be taught to make napkins on it in three hours. Running one of the machines employs four women in total, which creates income for rural women. Customers now have access to cheap sanitary napkins and can order customized napkins of varying thicknesses for their individual needs.
Youtube References :