Leslie Robertson Mateer
Business Communication Essentials
Practice Your Knowledge
(pgs. 94-95, nos.1-47)
The “You” Attitude:
1. We request that you have the order form supplied in the back of our catalog.
So that your order is processed properly, please complete the order form located in the back of our catalog.
2. We insist that you always bring your credit card to the store.
Having a credit card will most definitely provide a fast and enjoyable experience in the store.
3. We want to get rid of all our 15-inch monitors to make room in our warehouse for the 19-inch screens. Thus we are ...view middle of the document...
Let’s review your order so that we can find out how we can fix the problem.
10. You should have realized that waterbeds will freeze in unheated houses during the winter. Therefore, our guarantee does not cover the valve damage and you must pay the $9.50 valve-replacement fee (plus postage).
Paying the valve-replacement and postage fee of only $9.50 is all that is needed to ship you a new valve covered with our guarantee.
Emphasizing the Positive:
11. The new boss is inflexible when it comes to doing things by the book.
12. When you say we’ve doubled our profit level, you are mistaken.
13. Just be careful not to make any unwise choices this week.
14. Jim Riley is unskilled for that kind of promotion.
15. Glen monopolizes every meeting by being forceful.
16. You claim that you mailed your check last Thursday, but we have not received it.
I apologize for the inconvenience, but it appears that we have not received the check that was mailed out Thursday.
17. It is not our policy to exchange sale items, especially after they have been worn.
I understand you would like an exchange unfortunately; all sale item purchases are final.
18. You neglected to sign the enclosed contract.
It appears the enclosed contract has not been sign.
19. I received your letter, in which you assert that our shipment was three days late.
We apologize for the inconvenience; It appears our shipment was three days late.
20. You failed to enclose your instructions for your new will.
Enclosing instructions will avoid any mistakes with your new will.
21. For an Indian, Maggie certainly is outgoing.
Maggie is surely outgoing.
22. He needs a wheelchair, but he doesn’t let his handicap affect his job performance.
His physical disabilities do not affect his job performance.
23. A pilot must have the ability to stay calm under pressure, and then he must be trained to cope with any problem that arises.
A pilot must have the ability to stay calm under pressure, and must be trained to cope with any problem that arises.
24. Candidate Renata Parsons, married and the mother of a teenager, will attend the debate.
Candidate Mrs. Renata Parsons will attend the debate.
25. Senior citizen Sam Nugent is still an active salesman.
Sam Nugent is still an active salesman.
Message Composition: Selecting Words: