Like most people, we already know that smoking and drug addiction is bad for your health. But we do not know how dangerous smoking and drugs really are. Tobacco contains nicotine, a highly addictive drug that makes it difficult for smokers to kick the habit. Tobacco products also contain many poisonous and harmful substances that cause disease and premature death. Did we know that out of a group of 1000 smokers (age 30), that a full quarter of them (250!) will die of smoking-related illnesses prior to completing middle age, an additional quarter will die prematurely from smoking-related illnesses shortly after retirement age, and another large group will develop debilitating ...view middle of the document...
After 20 or 30 minutes you may feel the urge to smoke again.
* Poisonous, more addictive than cocaine and heroine
* So powerful that farmers can use it to kill insects
* Legal addiction
* Use results in addiction
Brain | Increases alertness, Improves short term memory, Improves concentration and Decreases anxiety |
Heart | Increases heart rate and blood pressure and Blood vessel contraction |
Hormones | Increases blood level of hormones (eg. adrenaline and noradrenalin) |
Metabolism | Increases rate of metabolism |
Digestive system | Decreases appetite, nausea |
Muscle | Decreases tone |
Types Of smoking: There are two types of smoking:
1. Passive smoking
2. Regular smoking.
1. Passive smoking: Passive smoking is when a person smokes and you can inhale it by passing by them.
2. Regular smoking: Regular smoking is when you inhale directly from the cigarette, pipe, or cigar.
Effects of Smoking:
* Lung cancer kills more people than any other type of cancer and at least 80% of these deaths are caused by smoking.
* It is the tar in the cigarettes which contains the carcinogenic “cancer causing” substances.
* During smoking the tar not only come in contact with lung, but also come in contact with lips, tongue, larynx, and oesophagus and throughout the digestive tract. Smokers have increased incidents of cancer in all of these exposed sites.
* Bronchitis: is an inflammation of the lung airways resulting in persistent cough. It may develop due to smoking.
* Chronic bronchitis is a chronic inflammatory condition in the lungs that causes the respiratory passages to be swollen and irritated, increases the mucus production and may damage the lungs. The symptoms are coughing and breathlessness, which will get worse over the years.
Chronic bronchitis is defined as chronic cough or mucus production for at least three months in two successive years when other causes have been excluded.
It affects the lungs:
Normal Lung Damaged Lung
Smoking can also cause cancer of the:
Smoking can cause:
* Deformed and reduced Sperm Count
* Testicular Cancer
* Low Birth Rate
* Cancer of the cervix
Hair loss: One can loss hair for the effect of smoking.
Smoking Reduces the supply of oxygen to the brain and thereby:
* Increases the risk of stroke leading to paralysis and loss of speech.
Smoking will effect your skin by reduced oxygen supply to skin :
* Premature aging and wrinkles
* Slow healing of skin wounds
Frequent ear infection:
Smoking can cause the thickening and hardening of artery walls and narrowing of arteries supplying heart and brain...