The Cellular Basis of Reproduction and Inheritance
1) The creation of offspring carrying genetic information from a single parent is called
A) asexual reproduction.
B) sexual reproduction.
C) a life cycle.
E) spontaneous generation.
2) Which of the following statements regarding sexual and asexual reproduction is true?
A) Cell division only occurs after sexual reproduction.
B) Only offspring from asexual reproduction inherit traits from two parents.
C) Sexual reproduction typically includes the development of unfertilized eggs.
D) Sexual reproduction is more likely to increase genetic variation ...view middle of the document...
B) Cell division is necessary for development to occur.
C) Cell division ensures the continuity of life from generation to generation.
D) Cell division is the basis of both sexual and asexual reproduction.
E) Cell division is common in eukaryotes but rare in prokaryotes.
8) Which of the following statements regarding prokaryotes is false?
A) Prokaryotic chromosomes are more complex than those of eukaryotes.
B) Most prokaryotes reproduce by binary fission.
C) Prokaryotic cells are generally smaller and simpler than eukaryotic cells.
D) In prokaryotes, daughter chromosomes are separated by an active movement away from each other and the growth of a new plasma membrane between them.
E) Daughter prokaryotic chromosomes are separated by some sort of active movement away from each other and the growth of new plasma membrane between them.
9) Eukaryotic chromosomes differ from prokaryotic chromosomes in that they
A) are simpler.
B) are circular in structure.
C) include fewer proteins.
D) are copied immediately after cell division.
E) are housed in a membrane-enclosed nucleus.
10) Which of the following helps maintain the structure of chromosomes and control the activity of genes?
A) the nuclear membrane
11) Sister chromatids are
A) found right after a cell divides.
B) tightly linked together at a centromere.
C) formed when chromatids separate during cell division.
D) made only of DNA.
E) unique to prokaryotes.
12) Prior to mitosis, each chromosome of a eukaryotic cell consists of a pair of identical structures called
B) sister chromosomes.
C) DNA transcripts.
E) sister chromatids.
13) Eukaryotic cells spend most of their cell cycle in which phase?
14) Which of the following occurs during interphase?
A) a reduction in the size of the nuclear membrane
B) duplication of the chromosomes
D) cell growth and duplication of the chromosomes
E) separation of newly formed DNA to opposite ends of the cell
15) The genetic material is duplicated during
A) the mitotic phase.
C) the S phase.
16) If the S phase were eliminated from the cell cycle, the daughter cells would
A) have half the genetic material found in the parent cell.
B) be genetically identical to each other.
C) be genetically identical to the parent cell.
D) synthesize the missing genetic material on their own.
E) continue to function without the normal amount of DNA.
17) The process by which the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell divides to produce two cells is called
C) binary fission.
E) spindle formation.