The BMW Group - Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (English: Bavarian Motor Works) was found in 1916 and today with its brands BMW, Mini, Rolls-Royce and BMW motorcycles is one of the largest car manufacturers in the World. As part of being leader in luxury car manufacturing, BMW group provides services such as Finance services for leasing its cars, BMW performance Insurance, BMW Teleservices, Apps, car servicing, airplane and train design. In this project we will be focusing just on production aspect of the company.
BMW group long time management strategy includes growing number of brand models from 24 in 2005, to 46 in 2015 and 60 models by 2020. It is known as luxury brand, all range of ...view middle of the document...
According to best-selling-cars.com, BMW had its best first three quarters of the year ever in 2014 with sales during the first nine months of 2014 increased by 6.5%.
History of BMW
• The roots of the Bayerische Motoren Werke AG is tracing back in 1916 as air engine manufacturer. Company’s logo (by some sources) represents white airplane propellers spinning in a blue sky. Actually colors blue and white stands for Bavarian national flag. BMW group aswell designs airplanes and trains interiors.
• In 1923 BMW introduces its first motorcycle R32. Until that time company was supplying just engines.
• The first BMW car was built in 1929 under the license from the Austin Motor company.
• In the II World War the BMW was classified as a German armaments and war materiel manufacturer, and devoted its resources almost exclusively to building aircraft engines for the German Air Force.
• In 1940 the company took on its first foreign workers, including prisoners of war and forced laborers from concentration camps.
• 1945 to 1949 US issued command to dismantle BMW plants so company lost its power of disposal over its assets.
• In 1948 R 24 motorcycle was introduced introduced to the market.
• In 1952 there was a new car 501 build. It was a luxury class car therefore was no success in sales achieved but it restored BMW’s status as a manufacturer of high-quality cars.
• In 1961 at a German Motor Show BMW introduced its 1500 model which orders after the show exceeded production capacities.
• In 1970s, BMW launched a series of new models
• In 1972 The Rosslyn plant, South Africa, was the first foreign outpost for BMW.
• In 1972 BMW gathered various motor racing activities and also produced sports-focused BMW cars.
• In 1982 plant was built at Steyr in Austria where the first diesel power unit was assembled in the following year.
• In 1990 there was on official opening of the Research and Innovation Centre where BMW brought together all its research and development work under one roof. There are more 9,000 scientists, engineers, designers, managers and technicians, working together as part of an integrated team.
• 1994 there was a decision made to buy the Rover Group in the UK to expand the range of models like Land Rover, Rover, MG, Triumph and Mini. In 2000 the Rover Group was sold, just MINI remains with BMW.
• In 1989 BMW decides to build a plan in USA. So in 1994 the plant in Spartanburg, South Carolina, was designed for production of the BMW Z3. Today the BMW X3, X5 and X6 models are manufactured there too. US is the second largest market of BMW.
• In 2003 BMW took over for Rolls-Royce Motor Cars. The new Rolls-Royce plant and a new company headquarters were built in Goodwood, UK.
• In 2004 plant in Shenyang, China was opened for china market.
• There are 24 BMW manufacturing facilities in 14 countries all over the World. Its largest manufacturing facility is located in Dingolfing, Germany.
• In 2008 BMW wins International Engine...