School Assembly Presentations
1. Organized and presented four class assemblies with Grades 5 & 7 around environmental/spiritual themes using songs, chants, circle story telling, drama and poems.
2. Screened a short documentary 'Give Us a Life Please' showing the dangers of toxic waste and other environmental pollution on Indian children's health.
3. Arranged the purchase, introduced and displayed 'Herbotique', a herbal, multi-purpose floor wash and cleaner and the chemical cleaners our school has been using up to this time with a full-explanation of the environmental and health effects of both. Arranged for empty containers to be available at the Tuck Shop so teachers and ...view middle of the document...
b. Students were asked to name the twenty locations around the school campus where Climate Change Challenge clues had been placed and to state the reasons these locations had been chosen. (All were directly connected to climate change in a positive or negative way (e.g. copy machine, school vehicle, a tree, garbage bin, compost, fans, solar panel etc.). A power point presentation was shown with photographs of the locations and the answers to confirm the student's findings and to suggest positive alternatives in cases where the location was having a negative impact.
(Thursday): a. Six two-minute home videos made by students, families and individuals were screened. These videos were downloaded from the treehugger.com site in response to the site's solicitation of videos for their The Convenient Truth competition depicting actions individuals are taking to combat Climate Change. b. Ten students from Grade 8 read out their personal solution for combating climate change in our daily life.
6. Organized and facilitated an outdoor performance by Grade 7 of The Web of Life where students take on the role of various living things and weave a web of connections using string. Added to this well-know activity by having students weaken the web by throwing garbage, spraying pesticides and cutting trees and restore it by picking up garbage, spreading compost and planting seeds.
7. Assisted Class 9 students in...