Competition Act C-34
1) What is the interpretation of the Competition Act? The purpose of this Act is to maintain and encourage competition in Canada in order to promote the efficiency and adaptability of the Canadian economy, in order to expand opportunities for Canadian participation in world markets while at the same time recognizing the role of foreign competition in Canada, in order to ensure that small and medium-sized enterprises have an equitable opportunity to participate in the Canadian economy and in order to provide consumers with competitive prices and product choices.
2) What is meant by false or misleading advertising? False advertising is the use of deliberately false ...view middle of the document...
Privacy Act P-21
1) Describe the nature and the purpose of the Privacy Act. An Act to extend the present laws of Canada that protect the privacy of individuals and that provide individuals with a right of access to personal information about themselves. The purpose of this Act is to extend the present laws of Canada that protect the privacy of individuals with respect to personal information about themselves held by a government institution and that provide individuals with a right of access to that information.
2) List a few examples of Government Institutions.
â–ª Department of Agriculture and Agri-Food
â–ª Department of Canadian Heritage
â–ª Department of Citizenship and Immigration
â–ª Department of the Environment
â–ª Department of Fisheries and Oceans
3) List five (5) example of personal information that would pertain to the Privacy Act.
â–ª Subject to this Act, every individual who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act has a right to and shall, on request, be given access to:
o Any personal information about the individual contained in a personal information bank; and any other personal information about the individual under the control of a government institution with respect to which the individual is able to provide sufficiently specific information on the location of the information as to render it reasonably retrievable by the government institution.
â–ª Every individual who is given access to personal information that has been used, is being used or is available for use for an administrative purpose is entitled to:
o Request correction of the personal information where the individual believes there is an error or omission therein.
â–ª Where access to personal information is requested, the head of the government institution to which the request is made shall, subject to section 15, within thirty days after the request is received: