1. Respond to all questions with academic paragraphs of at least 50 words. State your point of view and explain it thoroughly.
• What is conspicuous consumption? How does conspicuous consumption influence purchasing decisions? Think about a high-priced item that you have bought or would like to buy. To what extent does conspicuous consumption affect your decision?
Conspicuous consumption is defined as buying expensive or extravagant things to satisfy psychological craving. It can be defined as unnecessary spending to splurge on wealthy things to impress other but not necessary makes you happy. I would love to buy a BMW, not because I love it only but the caliber of car would give ...view middle of the document...
The term globalization is the breaking down barriers across the world and integrating society unified manner. The effect of globalization has a broad impact on the countries worldwide through the integration of music, fashion, movies and fast food. Almost anywhere in the world you can find Coca Cola, Basketball, McDonald Barbie doll and in America you will find worldwide ethnic foods.
2. Choose an advertisement. Analyze the ad for its media message. Answer the following questions based on that ad.
• Who created the media message?
The media’s message was created by progressive car insurance
To influence people to use their insurance company to insure their cars, bikes and RVs.
• Who is the intended audience? Anyone who owns, plan to own a car bike or RV.
What do you know about the intended audience—age, race, ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic background, hobbies, profession? The intended audience would be everyone between the age of 18 to 70 no matter the gender race or hobby or profession.
• What type of lifestyle is presented? The Media didn’t present any kind of lifestyle because their intended target is everyone not.
Is it realistic? Yes, this is a realistic way to present this media.
Why or why not? The producers wanted to draw all types of people with many different lifestyles in.
• What is the text, written or in another form, of the message? There were spoken and written texts used in this media which was clear.
What do you see and hear: written or spoken words, photos, drawings, logos, design, music, sounds, and so on? The actors were clearly spoken and the progressive logo was everywhere in the scene. Flo, the face of the Progressive campaign was telling a customer how much more discount and saving he had just by purchasing the policy he had.
• What is the hidden text?
I think the hidden text is the message that the good drivers get discounts while if someone has a bad driving record their auto insurance will be more expensive.
What is unstated or implied in the message?
The implied message is that Progressive Insurance Company is one of the cheapest insurance company and they give more discounts than any other insurance company.
• What values are expressed? The value expressed was monetary by through the savings and discounts Progressive offers.
• What groups of people are empowered in this message? The group of people who would be empowered in this message is the people who are easily influenced by what they see and hear. Those who do not do research and just take anything they are told....