Introduction - The study of bribery and corruption in the courtroom is paramount to protecting the rights of every person seeking justice. The fact that a judge or District Attorney is 99% honest simply will not suffice. Even the 1% must be treated fairly and equally under the laws of our country. Just like Jesus would leave the ninety-nine to go after the one, we must protect everyone equally under the laws established. Meditate on the words of Edmund Burke “The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.” The study and revelation of courtroom corruption is significant because I have personally observed bribery in the hallways of courtrooms in North Carolina. A ...view middle of the document...
The love of money is the root of all evil. (King James Study Bible, 1988)
A. Embezzlement of public monies in the state of Mississippi.
1. Chancery and Circuit Clerks demonstrates how and why embezzlement occurs. (Crockett, 2007)
2. Justice Court Clerks, and how they interact with individuals, local and state law enforcement agencies, businesses, and the local board of supervisors.
3. The Office of State Auditor investigates the theft of public money.
III. The evidence of things not seen.
A. The increase of campaign contributions, and the effect on cases of courtroom corruption. (Baldwin, 1985)
1. Study of Mississippi Judge McRae, and the $1.2 million dollar campaign contributions that led to his demise.
2. The quality of people entering public service versus private practice. (Dash, 2007)
Conclusion - There are a myriad of reasons why public officials head down the dark road to corruption. My research will show that corruption is not a new phenomenon that we are facing in the 21st century. The...