1. Is a dolphin a fish?
2. How old can dolphins be?
3. How fast can dolphins swim?
4. Do dolphins chew?
Dolphins are marine mammals that are closely related to whales and porpoises. There are almost forty species of dolphin in seventeen genera. They are found worldwide, mostly in the shallower seas of the continental shelves, and are carnivores, mostly eating fish and squid. Dolphins are among the most intelligent animals and their often friendly appearance and seemingly playful attitude have made them popular in human culture.
Most dolphins have acute eyesight, both in and out of the water, and they can hear frequencies ten times or more ...view middle of the document...
At times they harass other local creatures, like seabirds and turtles. Dolphins enjoy riding waves and frequently surf coastal swells and the bow waves of boats, at times “leaping” between the dual bow waves of a moving catamaran. Occasionally, they playfully interact with swimmers.
What are the meanings of the BOLD words? Circle the letter of each correct answer.
1. There are almost forty species of dolphin.
a) A group of similar animals that live together
b) A group of animals that plays with each other
c) A group of animals that live in the ocean
d) Animals that eat very large fish
2. They are found worldwide, mostly in the shallower seas of the continental shelves, and are carnivores, mostly eating fish and squid.
a) Animals that live on land
b) Animals with sharp eyesight
c) Plant eating animals
d) Meat eating animals
3. Most dolphins have acute eyesight.
4. At times they harass other local creatures, like seabirds and turtles.
a) Annoy each other
b) Play with
d) Impede by repeated raids
5. Especially around the snout, pectoral fins and genital area.
6. Dolphins lack an olfactory nerve and lobes and thus are believed to have no sense of smell.
a) To review
b) To show
7. in that substance in the water can signal the presence of objects that are not in the dolphin’s mouth
c) mark able
Complete the sentences with the correct form of the word in capital letters.
A) Dolphins are marine mammals that are _____ related to whales and porpoises.
B) There are many Dolphins get stuck when they get _____ to the shore.
A) They are found, ____ in the shallower seas of the continental shelves.
B) Carnivore’s ____ live in wild life.
a) Dolphins are playfully and interacting with _____.
b) Dolphins are pro’s in ____.
Looking for main ideas
1. Which of these is probably correct about dolphins? (1 point)
a) They can’t smell.
b) They don’t have a sense of taste.
c) They are herbivores.
d) They don’t have ears.
2. Why might dolphins perform acrobatics?
a) To help find food
b) To communicate with other dolphins
c) For fun
d) all of the above
3. Why are dolphins not considered dangerous to people?
a) They only eat plants.