Week 1 Assignment
Online File W1.1
1. List the business models used by M & S.
* According to the Online File W1.1 there are multiple EC business models that are used by M & S. It appears that this business uses a blended business-to-consumer (or B2C) philosophy. They have brick and mortar locations but at the same time have tried to keep up with the ever changing marketplace by also providing internet retailing as well, sometimes referred to as e-tailing.
* Portions of M & S’s business is also considered mobile commerce, more specifically, m-commerce and intrabusiness EC. This business model is outlined by the use of the mobile wireless devices to conduct ...view middle of the document...
This shopping cart integrates the consumers’ purchases with the company’s preferred financial transaction methods.
* There are also great focuses on security related data transactions. These transactions and their monitoring result in better productivity and profitability for M & S as fraudulent activities are critically observed and if found , that information is sent directly to the affected location. Real-time tracking like this prevents instances of theft that go unnoticed and therefore are simply written off as a loss instead of dealt with as they are happening.
* In addition there are a great many EC transactions that are going on between the internal departments of warehousing, merchandise, supply and inventory. These EC communication transactions are being utilized in order to improve the various business processes as well as making communication seamless.
3. List some of the benefits M & S derives from EC.
* The potential benefits of EC are nearly endless for any business, although as with anything else where there are positives there are also negatives. In focusing on the positives in this instance M & S gains a great deal from electronic commerce. Some of the benefits that have been identified for M & S are as follows: global reach, cost reduction, supply chain improvements, business always open, rapid time-to-market and increased speed and efficient procurement. As for their customers EC provides: cheaper products, convenience and anonymity.
* Where the business itself is concerned, M & S truly gains a great deal through the use of EC. It allows further reach to customers than brick and mortar locations alone could ever hope to accomplish, as well as at a much cheaper rate as there is far less overhead concerned with online stores versus storefronts. The business is accessible at any time, and the EC model due to its mobile friendliness to merchants allows for maximization as well as ease of use in adjustments to specific portions of the business itself; specifically the supply of fashion garments, and the cooperation between M & S and suppliers for retail locations.
* The patrons of M & S are afforded certain positive affects due to the development of the EC portions of the business....