Background of the study
The popularity of the networking sites increased rapidly in the last decade. This is probably due to the reason that university, college, secondary as well as the youngest in primary students used it extensively to get global access. These social net working sites such as twitter and facebook have become a raging craze for everyone nowadays. The negative effects of these networking sites overweigh the positive ones. A Site like facebook have caused some potential harm to society. The students become victims of social networks more often than anyone else. Ari Herzog said that Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected. (Oct. 6, 2008). It has grown extremely rapidly, establishing a user base of 8,000,000 users, and close to 100% penetration at certain schools.
A study aboard was conducted by Dr. Larry Rosen of California State ...view middle of the document...
And more “tens of thousands” of high school students have joined since the functionality since it was launched. While In the Philippines alone the statistic almost reaches an approximate 30 million users. An article from Rappler, (LIFE & STYLE, 06/20/2012) stated that it has been said about the Philippines being among the top social media countries in the world. It is indeed a social and hyperconnected world and the statistics bear this out. The latest data from SocialBakers shows that almost one out of every 4 Filipinos has a Facebook account. As of this writing, there are 27,720,300 Facebook users in the Philippines. That’s about 27.75% of the population and 93.33% of the online population. Ranked 8th in the world among Facebook countries, about 1,226,960 Facebook users were added over the past 6 months. Breaking it down even further, that’s about 204,493 Facebook users a month or 6,816 users added a day. A percentage of 39% of users are 18-24 years old and 24% are 25-34 years old. Combined, this gives an account for 63% of the total Facebook population. While 52% of it’s user were female and young who mostly are consistent part of this growth.
The survey shows that as time goes on, it is becoming even more entrenched in every student’s life. Isn’t it alarming? What could be the possible negative impacts of this social network site to our younger generation? We all believe that Facebook is an accepted means of communication. But why do people really use it? A new study entitled "Why do people use Facebook?" from Boston University's Ashwini Nadkarni and Stefan G. Hofmann proposes that the social network meets two primary human needs: (1) the need to belong and (2) the need for self-presentation. The study also acknowledges demographic and cultural factors as they relate to the belonging need, and the variation of personality types on Facebook usage. Frequent FB users "exhibit a high level of extraversion, low self-esteem, high levels of neuroticism and narcissism, and low levels of self-esteem and self-worth are associated with high FB use." The study goes on to note that frequent Facebook use may be associated with lower academic performance, but it may lead to higher self-esteem and a sense of belonging. (Alicia Eler January 16, 2012).