ETHICS AND CSR REPORT ON
Prof. Biswanath Swain
GROUP 5 :
Aditi Garg, Ankit, Deepa Yadav, Karamveer, Shijin T N, Sreeram P, Tarun Kumar Madhei
Letter of Transmittal:
Prof. Biswanath Swain
22 November 2015
Subject: Report on movie Gafla
It critically analyses the ethical dilemmas faced by various characters in the movie and the ethical approaches that were followed by them to solve those issues.
This is a report presents the ...view middle of the document...
1) Subodh’s friend Jayant needs to pay 2 Lakh Rupees for getting a government job. The underlying ethical issue is whether bribery should be used for getting a job.
2) Subodh’s friend Hari becomes a stockbroker and wanted Subodh to join him. But Hari was working for Thakur who followed unethical practices in the stock market.
3) Should he marry Maya, the daughter of a businessman which would benefit him professionally or should he stay with Vidya, the love of his life.
4) Should Subodh negotiate with Thakur who was planning to bring the market down for his own benefits or should he stick with his own principles.
5) Subodh gains the trust of the broker Mr. Shah by portraying his friend Vidya as his wife. How this can be viewed from the lens of ethical analysis?
Analysis of the Dilemmas and issues
1.) Paying 2 lakhs bribe
Since such an amount was not readily available with Jayant, he was planning to use his father’s PF amount. Vidya tries to talk sense into him saying that it is wrong to get involved in such an activity. Subodh intervenes and says that to get something good you have to arrange for means to attain that.
Subodh doesn’t care much about the path taken rather the end results. Though it is said that ends justify the means, it is not true in real life. From the perspective of Virtue Ethics, it is clear that his ideology does not match with the rules of the act itself. He encourages an act that is unethical and illegal to attain something good, expecting that good would negate the bad.
Recommendation: Subodh could have asked him not to go for the bribe citing the consequences. His acts could get him prosecuted and since he is from a lower class of the society, the repercussions on him and his family would be high.
2.) Join Hari or not
Hari was the person who helped Subodh get acquainted with the market tactics during his early days in the world of stock market. Later when Hari becomes a stock broker and invites Subodh to join him, Subodh faces a dilemma whether to join Hari or not to join him because Hari was working with Thakur who being a big player in the stock market tried to bring down the market for more profits, which was against Subodh’s principles
Subodh chose not to join Hari.
Ethical approach: The Virtue Approach Subodh believed that in order to earn profits there was no need to bring the market down as this could be achieved by making better investments. This way the stock market would never come down and so nobody would suffer losses. So If he joins Hari he would be forced to go against his perceived ideals. Thus he refuses to join Hari. Instead he opens his own office later on which he operates on his own principles.
3.) Maya vs Vidya
The ethical dilemma Subodh face is due to his ambitions which he wanted to fulfil at any cost. It has taken him to the point where it start affecting his personal life also. He has to marry the...