Persuasive Speech on Fact Outline
General Purpose: To persuade my audience about a fact.
Specific Purpose: To persuade my audience that man-made global warming is a myth based on bad scientific measures.
Argument: Global warming is not mankindâ€™s fault because climate change is a normal process.
I. Attention Getter: Despite what you may have heard from Al Gore, driving your SUV is not going to contribute to the destruction of planet Earth.
II. Argument/Introduce Topic: In fact, global warming is not the fault of you and your SUV, but rather climate change and that is a normal process.
III. Credibility Statement: I am an environmental ...view middle of the document...
1. Sub-sub-point: Kirk A. Maasch a professor from the University of Maine, said the following on PBS: â€œDuring the past billion years, the Earth's climate has fluctuated between warm periods - sometimes even completely ice-free - and cold periods, when glaciers scoured the continents. The cold periodsâ€”or ice agesâ€”are times when the entire Earth experiences notably colder climatic conditions. During an ice age, the polar regions are cold, there are large differences in temperature from the equator to the pole, and large, continental-sized glaciers can cover enormous regions of the earthâ€ (â€œThe Big Chill,â€ par. 1).
2. Sub-sub-point: Further on in this article he notes that it is impossible to know the exact cause, and things such as solar activity and the Earthâ€™s position relevant to the sun can matter (Maasch, â€œThe Big Chillâ€).
D. Sub-point: According to the website Scepticalscience.com every 120,000 years or so the Earth experiences ice cycles when glaciers melt and CO2 gas is released (â€œGlobal Warming and Natural Climate Change in the Past,â€ par. 8).
E. Sub-point: Sciencedaily.com also says that there were significant climate changes between the year 1,200 and 2000 (â€œNatural Climate Change May be Larger than Commonly Thought,â€ par. 2).
F. Sub-point: This is something global warming alarmists seem to ignore.
[Transition: Donâ€™t just take my word for it. Letâ€™s hear what other scientists have to say about the science of global warming.]
II. Main Point: Al Gore, and others who promote the notion that we are destroying our planet by our activities, use flawed science that is too narrow, and leaves out many factors.
A. Sub-point: The founder of the Weather Channel is a global warming skeptic.
1. Sub-sub-point: In a speech to the San Diego Chamber of Commerce John Coleman, founder of the Weather Channel, said he had read thousands of global warming studies and they are faulty because their whole case is based on an increase in carbon dioxide (â€œWeather Channel Founder Makes another Challenge to Gore,â€ par. 10).
2. Sub-sub-point: Coleman went on to say that carbon dioxide is normal, we breathe it out, oceans absorb it and return it to the air (â€œWeather Channel Founder Makes Another Challenge to Gore,â€ par. 13).
3. Sub-sub-point: Coleman notes that Al Gore was influenced by a Harvard professor who studied CO2, but even the professor said that CO2 was not a serious threat (â€œWeather Channel Founder Makes Another Challenge to Gore,â€ par. 11).
4. Sub-sub-point: Coleman said â€œif this werenâ€™t so serious, it would be laughableâ€â€ (â€œWeather Channel Founder Makes Another Challenge to Gore,â€ par. 9).
B. Sub-point: Since this is such a controversial topic I am going to offer more evidence from scientists that contradict alarmists like Al Gore.