Module 1. How do you feel Globalization has shaped your own community?
Globalization today is the leading concept in America. Everywhere you go is globalization, it is the key dominant challenge in most communities of the twenty first century. Globalization has meant that with the emergence of a well-integrated global market, national and local policy makers are increasingly being controlled with dramatic implications for the economic stability and viability of communities in industrialized and developing nations. To understand fully what globalization is and how it is changing our communities, we need to explore everything surrounding it such global free market, capitalism, motivations ...view middle of the document...
There are so many wonderful wineries around my home. My kids also love taking country rides and counting all the cows we see especially in the fall when all the leaves are changing colors, it is such a beautiful time. In New York, we export two hundred million dollars in milk products a year, this figure is growing as the demand for milk is growing in countries such as China and India. In 2009, tourists spent billions in New York State. New York City is the number one destination among foreign tourists.
Across this state, from Buffalo to Long Island, New York has major and globally competitive resources for science and technology, especially in Rochester and Albany.
We have had serious loss in manufacturing jobs, but studies show that there is a growing number of smaller and entrepreneurial jobs on the rise across the state.
In a research report done by New York and the World Report they found three key themes where there are opportunities for action:
Talent for the 21st Century World
* Invest in Education and Skills Development
* Develop Strategies to Retain and Attract Talent
* Embrace Community Colleges as Mechanisms to Retrain Displaced Workers
* Create Immigration Friendly Policies to Attract and Retain Immigrants
Growth Strategies for the New Global Economy
* Promote and Support Entrepreneurship
* Build Upon the States R&D Assets to Expand the Innovation Economy
* Help More New York Businesses Export and Compete Globally
* View Colleges and Universities as Economic Drivers for Regional Growth
* Improve Connections Between Upstate Cities and New York City
Assets for a Competitive New York
* Maintain New York’s Key Competitive Advantages
* Upgrade the States Physical Infrastructure
* Lower the Cost of Doing Business in New York
As I already stated, globalization has been better for some parts of New York than other parts. Upstate New York suffers from economic dynamics of globalization. One of the reasons is that the high share of manufacturing jobs that used to exist before global competition made it easier to outsource jobs to other countries. Also, these cities have a small share of highly educated workers and lack industry in high end professional business services. Most of the high end services are in New York City which have benefitted from the rise of trade and modern communications to mark the rise of globalization. New York’s high cost of doing business needs to be addressed for New York workers and...