Healthy Diet's Effect on Children's Teeth
A healthy diet can improve the state of children's teeth.
In my investigation I will include:
- To find out how tooth decay is caused and what the main reasons
are for it.
- To put forward a questionnaire on what children mostly eat and
- Ideas on how children's tooth decay can be avoided. What
nutrients are important to teeth.
- To do some practical work on the foods rich in the nutrients
that are important to teeth.
- What nutrients are important to teeth.
- Put forward ideas of what the diets of young children should be
- Cementum - a specialized bony substance covering the root of a
Formation of Tooth Decay
2. The dentin is porous so therefore it is eroded faster than the
overlaying enamel. Because of this a large cavity could be forming
inside the tooth without showing many visible signs.
1. After eating, food
particles and bacteria form plaque on the surface of the teeth. The
bacteria becomes an acid and begins to erode the calcium in the
tooth's enamel, this leads to a formation of a minute cavity. If this
is left untreated, the acid will eventually eat through the tooth
Tooth Decay1.jpg (10604 bytes) Tooth Decay2.GIF (9260 bytes)
3. The decay continues and bacteria come in through the porous dentin
and infect the pulp. The body launches an immune response to the
infection so the blood vessels around the tooth enlarge and press
against the nerves entering the tooth causing 'tooth ache.'
Tooth Decay3.jpg (10036 bytes)
4. If the infection proceeds and a significant amount of bacteria
invades' the pulp, the tooth and the root may die. This will stop the
pain, but since the body is still fighting an infection, an abscess
Tooth Decay4.JPG (10040 bytes)
5. A tooth abscess will form around the base of a tooth's root. This
will cause aching and discomfort in the tooth, it will be painful to
chew on. If the abscess is not treated, it will erode the bone near
the tooth, and may lead to the formation of a canal, through the bone.
Just before this reaches the surface of the gum, a boil may form. This
may burst and release foul tasting pus into the mouth.
Tooth-Root Canal.JPG (12243 bytes)
If tooth decay is caught and treated early it does not usually pose a
health risk. However, if the decay is allowed to continue, the tooth
may die and the spreading infection may result in blood poisoning,
fever and swelling in the face and neck.
Lack of good dental care
DIAGRAM SHOWING DECAYED TEETH
Common causes of decay
Sugar is commonly believed to be the main cause of tooth decay, but it
is also caused by carbohydrates, especially processed ones such as
crisps, bread and pasta
Allowing children to snack between meals on sweets, chocolate or
crisps can cause tooth decay, because they do not brush their teeth
after snacking. Also allowing toddlers to have sugary drinks and juice
can cause tooth decay. Toddlers are not always encouraged to brush
their teeth after drinking sugary drinks because people often forget
that there is a lot of sugar in them. Also children do not always have
access to a toothbrush after meals especially if they are eating out
at a restaurant. Many drinks also contain acid which is highly
corrosive for teeth.
Preventing tooth decay
To prevent tooth decay children should try to follow...