Associate Program Material
Racial Diversity: Historical Worksheet
Answer the following questions in 100 to 250 words each. Provide citations for all the sources you use.
• Throughout most of U.S. history, in most locations, what race has been in the majority? What is the common ancestral background of most members of this group?
I think that throughout most of United States history in most locations that White race has been the majority. I am sure that over the years Whites will not be the race that’s majority. Especially, with immigration rates increasing the numbers will change. There common ancestral backround is from Europe. The came from there to the United States years ago and have contributed to the country since then. Rtaher than being called Euro American, they are called Caucasian or White. Just because they originated in Europe doesn’t mean that they speak the language and they do not have remaining relationships with those whose ...view middle of the document...
Mexicans immigrated here in the 1850’s to help with construction and fruit bearing production. The immigration increased with the 1910 Mexican Revolution. It was said that between 1910 and 1917 53 thousand Mexican workers migrated here per year.
• In what ways have laws been used to enforce discrimination? Provide examples. These laws were intended against which racial minorities?
Laws have been used to enforce discrimination by making people have consequences for their actions such as discriminating against someone or even a particular group of people. Not everyone follows the laws but those people will have to deal with the consequences and will be prime examples to others as to what will happen if they continue to do this. Jim Crow laws enforced discrimination and racial segregation. I am sure that some citizens in the south didn’t mind these laws that enforced discrimination but there were other who knew it was wrong. The hard part was being forced to do something that you do not believe in.
• In what ways have laws been used to eliminate discrimination? Provide examples. Did the laws work to eliminate discrimination?
There are many laws to try and help prevent or reduce discrimination. We all know that it will probably never be completely gone but we still have to try to fight against it. A good example of a law that tries to prevent discrimination would be the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The congress passed a public law that basically told citizens they can not discriminate against others based on sex and race. It also helped enforce equal employment. These laws were intended against white races to protect African Americans. The Civil Rights Act was the beginning, it was planting a seed. I believe that it has grown and today our society has improved tremendously in regards to discrimination.
1. Center for the Study of White American Culture. (n.d.). Retrieved February 13, 2015, from http://euroamerican.org/wordpress/index.php/2012/09/.
2. Jim Crow. (n.d.). Retrieved February 13, 2015, from http://www.pbs.org/itvs/homecoming/jimcrowpop.html.
3. The first migrants to U.S. (n.d.). Retrieved February 13, 2015, from http://www.farmworkers.org/immigrat.html.