GS text for
a. an answer to an examination question,
b. an opening paragraph of an assignment, or
c. a background (or scene-setting) paragraph to an analysis or discussion
begins with one of the following
a. a short or extended definition,
b. a contrastive or comparative definition, or
c. a generalization or purpose statement
General statement – More specific detail – Specific detail – Broader statement
“Writing passage begins with a definition; definitions are a common way of getting started.
(unfamiliar reader – used to clarify terms / familiar reader – expected you to demonstrate your understanding of complex concepts)
Sentence Definition; To what class does ...view middle of the document...
: active state verb changed to the –ing form
3) It is important to note that a relative clause containing a modal auxiliary cannot be reduced.
4) A foundations is a base on which a structure can be built. (preposition + relative pronoun – cannot be reduced)
5) Collective bargaining is a process whereby (of which, through which) employers agree to discuss work-related issues with employee representatives.
6) A microscope is an instrument > an object; care should be taken to find the precise word or phrase
A. a solar cell is a device that converts the energy of sunlight into electric energy. : academic English.
B. a solar cell is something(too broad and informal) that changes sunlight into electricity.(may be considered wrong) : spoken English, e-mail
1) Avoid using any form of your term in the definition / Using the term itself in the definition can result in a circular definition and is likely to note as such by your audience.
: Erosion is a process during which the surface of the earth is degraded by the effects of the atmosphere, weather and human activity.
2) Avoid using when and where in definition – less appropriate for a formal definition.
Pollution is when the environment becomes contaminated as a result of human society >
Pollution is a form of environmental contamination resulting from human activity.
A general / one-sentence definition / more specific (additional details)
1) An analysis of components
A microscope is an optical instrument with which the apparent size of an object can be enhanced. A simple microscope consists of a double convex lens and a magnifying glass. A compound microscope, on the other hand, will contain more than one of each of these lenses, which are situated at the ends of a cylinder.
Pollution is a form of environmental contamination resulting from human activity. Some common forms of pollution are wastes from the burning of fossil fuels and sewage running into rivers. Even litter and excessive noise can be considered forms of pollution because of the impact they can have on the environment.
3) A sense of historical change and development
Perspective is a technique in art that is used to represent three-dimensional objects and depth relationships on a flat surface. Modern linear perspective (which involves making objects seem smaller the more distant they are from the observer) was probably first used in the 1400s by the artist Masaccio and the architects Filippo Brunelleschi and Leon Battista Alberti in Florence, Italy. Before this time, artists paid little attention to realistic perspective. In recent decades, many modern artists have returned to the practices of early artists and have abandoned realistic perspective.
4) A knowledge of applications
An acrylic plastic is a polymer which can take a high polish, is clear and transparent, and can be shaped while hot. Because of these and other characteristics, acrylic plastic is used in...