July 22, 2010
Dr. Kristi Hendrix
Psychologist define learning as “a relatively permanent change in behavior or mental process because of practice or experience” (Carpenter and Huffman, 2010, Ch. 5) In other words Learning is characterized as the method of developing fresh accomplishment, behavior, knowledge, use or taste. Learning is an alteration evolved as an outcome of experience. This paper analyses a personal learning experience in relation with several prospects of the learning theory.
Identify what you learned from the experience or experiences.
* When I was a little girl I did not like sleeping alone in my room ...view middle of the document...
Before my step dad hit my mom, I loved him as if he was my real dad. I had a high level of respect for him. Every time my dad (unconditioned stimulus) came home from work I would run into his harms and give him a big hug (unconditional response). After I witnessed him show such aggression towards my mother (conditioned stimulus) it angered me so much that I vowed never to let a man put their hands on me (conditioned response) (Carpenter and Huffman, 2010).
* Explain how your learning could have occurred through operant conditioning. Describe the behavior, consequence, and reinforcement. Indicate the schedule of reinforcement, if applicable.
* The way my experience could have been the result of operant conditioning is the loss of respect toward my step dad. I honored, loved and respected my step dad. He was strict at times but I still loved him, but the moment he hit my mother in the face, he appeared to me as the punisher and therefore and loss of respect and increased fear of my step dad gripped my heart. Which would be considered negative reinforcement.
* Address how your learning could have occurred through cognitive-social learning.
* I believe that because my brother saw so much aggression in our home, learned this through cognitive social learning. As we grew older, my brother began to hit and beat me up. Although most of time we were playing. His behavior is considered abuse today. Because of that experience, that also reinforced my learned experienced and caused me to have an even tougher personality type.
Conclude by comparing and contrasting classical conditioning, operant conditioning, and cognitive-social learning.
* Classical conditioning or Pavlovian conditioning, to begin with, refers to an involuntary or automatic response to a specific stimulus. It also refers to the predictable sequence of events in which a thinking being responds to the first event in anticipation of the next. Examples of these...