Hoping that i can post an inspiration success story of our proud nations billionaire.
MALAYSIAN Billionaire tycoon Lim Goh Tong has died at the age of 90, following a short illness, leaving an estimated US$4.3 billion (S$6.2 billion) fortune.
The tycoon handed over the running of an empire with interests in property, power generation, plantations, paper manufacturing and information technology.
Genting's Hong Kong-listed subsidiary, Star Cruises, is the third-largest cruise operator in the world, while the group also controls Britain's biggest casino operator Stanley Leisure.
But Tan Sri Lim, one of Malaysia's wealthiest businessmen, is best known for turning Genting ...view middle of the document...
He was helped by the Malaysian government, which subsidised the building of a road to the resort and awarded him a casino licence.
But his eventual success was attributed to his entrepreneurial spirit, and he gave an insight into his style in his recent autobiography.
"The Genting project fitted my idea of an ideal business," he wrote.
"No one was interested in it, which meant no competition."
He always used this as his success key
1. Never make language barrier a limitation to succeed. Lim Goh Tong did not speak or write in English. He spoke Hokkien in his native land China, and after coming to Malaysia, he learned Bahasa Malaysia, Cantonese & Mandarin. But that did not stop him to negotiate one of the biggest business contracts in the country.
2. Be polite, humble and respectful to others. If you can rub shoulders with tycoons, politicians and high officials, ask yourself, can you get along well too with hawkers and manual workers? Often times, success goes to our heads and we forget where we came from and our hardship seems to be a forgotten past.
3. When it comes to appointment and meeting, have a habit to be punctual. Better still, come 5 to 10 minutes early. Malaysians have a very weird habit when it comes to appointments, interviews and meeting. Don’t be one. Make punctuality your personal and business principle.
Do not make excuse to cancel appointments just because the person is not important. Also, a good advice is that, if you want to know if a person will be a good friend and business partner, watch if he arrives on the appointed time when you set a date or meeting. If you are late for job interview when you can be early, know that you will not make a good employee.
4. Live a disciplined, simple life. Get up early from bed to start your day. You will see prosperity coming your way.
5. Make effort to carry something that you can write or jot down when you have anything coming to mind. Lim Goh Tong used small notebook. Now you are spoiled with choices when it comes to note taking - PDA, mobile phone, note book and so on. Do not...