Major Health Issues in the United States Today
Presentation By: Team C
Bianka Noble, Sandi Cerutti, Heather Bane, Gloria Ponce, and Leticia Rojas
January 20th, 2014
Three major health conditions that is widespread
in the United States today:
• Heart Disease
• Kidney Disease
• Kidney disease is the 8th leading cause of death in the
• More than 20 million adults age 20 or older in the U.S. have kidney disease and most don't know it.
• Diabetes and high blood pressure are the two leading causes of kidney disease.
pressure, especially when left untreated, can damage ...view middle of the document...
The various diseases that fall
under the umbrella of heart disease include
• blood vessels
• coronary artery disease heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias)
• heart infections
• Birth heart defects (congenital heart defects).
• Causes of Heart Disease:
Atherosclerosis: buildup of fatty plaques in your arteries. Causes of this are often formed by unhealthy diet, lack of exercise, overweight, smoking.
• Causes of Heart Arrhythmia or conditions that can lead to this include:
• Heart defects you're born with (congenital heart defects)
• Coronary artery disease
• High blood pressure
• Excessive use of alcohol or caffeine
• Drug abuse
• Some over-the-counter medications, prescription medications, dietary supplements and herbal remedies
• Valvular heart disease
Causes of Heart Disease
• Causes of Heart Defects:
Heart defects usually develop while a baby is still in the womb. Some medical conditions, medications and genes may play a role in causing heart defects. Adults also can develop heart defects as well, as we age our heart structure can change, creating a heart defect.
• Causes of Cardiomyopathy:
Causes of cardiomyopathy, which is a thickening or enlarging of the heart muscle is really unknown, but there are 3 types of cardiomyopathy
• Dilated cardiomyopathy
• Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
• Restrictive cardiomyopathy
Continued Causes of
• Causes of Heart Infection:
Heart infections, such as pericarditis, endocarditis and myocarditis, are caused when an irritant, such as a bacterium, virus or chemical, reaches your heart muscle. The most common causes of heart infections include:
• Medications that may cause an allergic or toxic reaction
• Other diseases, such as lupus
• Causes of valvular disease:
There are many causes of diseases of your heart valves. Four valves within your heart keep blood flowing in the right direction. You may be born with valvular disease, or the valves may be damaged by such conditions as rheumatic fever, infections (infectious endocarditis), connective tissue disorders, and certain medications or radiation treatments for cancer.
Cardiovascular risk factors
There are many risk factors associated with coronary heart disease and stroke. Some are inevitable because they are hereditary, or due to ethnicity, or age. Other risk factors can be treated or changed are:
• High blood pressure
• High cholesterol
• Physical inactivity
• Unhealthy eating habit
• Alcohol use
Risk factors of Heart
The entire body depends on the heart to pump blood. If the heart is affected from heart disease, all body systems will be effected.
Hardening of the heart arteries (or atherosclerosis) prevents the heart from getting the oxygen rich blood it needs. This occurs when there is...