ASSIGNMENT DUE DATE TOTAL MARKS
: : :
BUSINESS COMMUNICATION 27 AUGUST 2007 100
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING AND SUBMITTING ASSIGNMENTS:
1) You are required to submit ONE assignment per subject. 2) The assignment will contribute 20% towards the final examination mark, and the other 80% will be made up from the examination, however the examination papers will count out of a 100%. 3) Although your assignment will contribute towards your final examination mark, you do not have to earn credits for admission to the examinations; you are automatically accepted on registering for the exam. 4) Number all the pages of your assignment and write your student number at the top of each page. Make sure that this is done correctly before you staple the pages into the assignment cover. 5) Answers to assignment questions should be typed, where possible, on plain A4 paper. If assignments are hand written, they must be legible and submitted ...view middle of the document...
It may even result in your assignment not being marked.
• • You will be penalised for plagiarising or simply copying passages from the study notes or other texts. It is only when you use your own words that the markers are able to establish whether you have understood the concepts outlined in the study notes. The markers are then in a better position to offer you constructive feedback. Students are reminded that this is an individual effort and group submissions will be penalised.
Results will be available on the IMM website: www.imm.co.za. Release date: 2
Semester: 10 Oct 2007
NB!!! PLEASE SEND ORIGINAL ASSIGNMENTS, NO FAXES OR E-MAILS WILL BE ACCEPTED
QUESTION 1 1.1 Describe a language barrier that you have personally encountered when dealing with another person and describe the consequences.
(10) 1.2 Describe a barrier of kinesics that you have personally encountered when dealing with another person and describe the consequences. (10)
QUESTION 2 2.1
Draw a clear, simple diagram to illustrate the communication flow of a message between sender and receiver. (10) Define each of the following terms then give an example from your own experience or observation (NOT from a text book) of the following communication barriers: stereotyping poor listening attitudes to punctuality xenophobia (5) (5) (5) (5)
QUESTION 3 3.1 3.2 Explain your understanding of the word slang.
Give five examples of common slang words or expressions that you have heard in spoken communication between friends or colleagues (10) and give the correct usage in brackets after each one.
QUESTION 4 4.1
List five common graphic communication devices commonly used in documents such as reports in business communication. (10)
Read the following information from the annual report of a beverage company called Springtime Beverages and draw a colourful, appropriate and clearly-labelled graphic communication device to illustrate the following information: sale of mineral water (still) sale of mineral water (sparking) sale of soft drinks sale of diet soft drinks 40% of sales 15% of sales 30% of sales 15% of sales (25)