Introduction To Computers
Computer - is an electronic device, operating under the control of instruction stored in its own memory, that can accept data, process the data according to specified rules, produce result, and store the result for future use.
Data & Information
Data- is a collection of unprocessed items, which can include text, numbers, images, audio, and video.
Information- conveys meaning and is useful to people.
Computer process data (Input) into information (output).
Computer carries out processes using Instructions, which are the steps that tell the computer how to perform a particular task.
A collection of related instructions organized for common purposes is ...view middle of the document...
Components of a Computer
A computer contains many electric and mechanical components known as Hardware.
Hardware-It is described as a device that is physically connected to your computer or something that can be physically touched.
Input Devices - is any hardware component that allows you enter data and instructions into a computer.
Five widely used input devices:
* Mouse - It is a small handheld device that you can control small symbol on the screen.
* Scanner - It record images on digital form. It is a device that can read text or illustration printed on paper and translates into a form that a computer can use.
* Web cam
* Microphone - It allows you to speak into the computer.
Output Devices - is any hardware component that conveys information to one or more people.
Three commonly used output devices:
* Monitor - It is used to display soft copy output.
* Speakers - It allows you to hear music, voice and other sounds.
* Is a case that contains the electronic components of the computer that are used to process data.
* Motherboard- The circuitry of the system unit usually is part of or is connected to a circuit board.
Two main components on the motherboard
* Processor, also called a CPU(Central Processing Unit)- is the electronic component that interprets and carries out the basic instructions that operate the computer.
* Memory- consist of electronic components that store instruction waiting to be executed and data needed by those instruction.
* Storage holds data, instruction, and information for future use.
* It records and/or retrieves items to and from storage media.
* Storage Media- a computer keeps data, instructions, and information;
* It provides much greater capacity than a USB flash drive.
* USB flash drive
* Hard disk
* Optical dicks
* Memory cards
* Is a hardware component that enables a computer to send (transmit) and receive data, instruction, and information to and from one or more computers or mobile devices.
* It is a hardware component that enables a computer to to transmit and receive data.
* A widely used communication device is Modem.
Types of Communication Devices
* telephone lines
Software also called a program, consist of a series of related instructions, organized for a common purpose, that tells that computer what task to perform and how to perform them.
Two categories of software:
* System Software
* Application software
* Consist of the programs that control or maintain the operations of the computer and its devices.
* Serves as the interface between the user, the application software, and the computer’s hardware.
Types of system software
* Operating system-is a set of programs that coordinates all the activities among...