Title: E. Coli In Ground Beef: Cause of Many Illnesses and Deaths
Thesis statement: There are many cases where people have become ill and even died because of E. coli in ground beef.
First supporting idea: Stephanie Smith becomes very ill after eating a hamburger in which the meat contained E. coli.
Second supporting idea: Two people die after eating ground beef that may have contained
E. coli linked to illness in more than two dozen people.
Third supporting idea: An outbreak at Jack in the Box restaurants that killed four
Many people have died due to this bacteria, therefore something should be done about ...view middle of the document...
Her kidneys stopped functioning and seizures knocked her unconscious. The convulsions got so bad to the point that the doctors had to put her in a coma for nine weeks. When Stephanie emerged, she could no longer walk. Her illness had damaged her nervous system and left her paralyzed. Stephanie Smith, who was just 22 years old, was diagnosed to have a severe form of food-borne illness caused by E. coli. Minnesota officials traced to the hamburger that her mother had grilled for their Sunday dinner. Stephanie spent most of her time in physical therapy, which was paid by Cargill, the food giant, in anticipation of a legal claim, according to Stephanie’s mom. Her kidneys are at high risk of failure and she struggles to regain some basic life skills. Doctors say that she will most likely never walk again. Stephanie Smith had an extreme reaction to the virulent strain of E. coli, but by tracing the story of her burger, interviews and government corporate records obtained by The New York Times, shows why eating ground beef is still a gamble (Moss).
In 2009 two people died after eating ground beef that may have contained E. coli linked to illness in more than two dozen people. One person was from New Hampshire and the other from upstate New York. The New Yorker who died was an adult from Albany County who had several underlying health problems, The Associated Press reported. The suspect beef was produced by a company in western New York State, Fairbank Farms (Harris).
According to the article, The Burger That Shattered Her Life” by Michael Moss, meat companies and grocers have been barred from selling ground beef tainted by the virulent strain of E. coli known as O157:H7 since 1994. This was due after an outbreak at Jack in the Box restaurants that killed four children. Tens of thousands of people are still sickened annually by this bacterium, with hamburgers being the biggest culprit. Ground beef has been blamed for 16...