Pro-Life or Pro-Choice
A Philadelphia doctor has been convicted of the first-degree murders of three babies delivered and killed with scissors in late term abortions. Dr. Kermit Gosnell, 72, was acquitted on another charge of killing a fourth baby, who let out a whimper before he cut its neck, prosecutors said. Gosnell performed thousands of abortions over a career spanning three decades. His medical practice earned him about $1.8 million a year (Calamur).
How would you feel if someone took away your ability to live? Imagine not having any say in whether or not you want to have a life. Well, babies don’t have a choice in their mother’s womb. If a woman decides to abort her ...view middle of the document...
It seems that there is no “right” answer to the question of abortion’s legality, and any people have begun to argue that the government should not have made it a political platform. Prior to the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision known as Roe v. Wade, abortion supporters claimed 5,000 to 10,000 women were dying from illegal abortions each year in the U.S. However, former abortionist Dr. Bernard Nathanson, the founder of the pro-abortion lobbying group known as NARAL, has been quoted as saying, I confess that I knew the figures were totally false and I suppose that others did too if they stopped to think about it. But in the ‘morality’ of our revolution, it was a useful figure, widely accepted, so why go out of our way to correct it with honest estimates?” (Hot Topics on Abortion).
Advocates of abortion often argue that what’s at stake in an abortion is a blob of tissue. But real time ultrasounds have shown us the humanity of the child in the womb. We can now see preborn babies turning somersaults, sucking their thumbs, and sticking out their tongues, actions that would be impossible for a mere blob of tissue. The blob of tissue argument, then, is a relic from the ‘70s that should be retired, once and for all. Here are some important points to consider:
* Your preborn child started the same way that you did, through the fertilization of your mother’s egg by your father’s sperm.
* Your preborn baby has its own set of genetic characteristics, and may even have a different blood type than you do.
* Your baby’s hart is distinct from yours and beats with its own distinct rhythm.
* Your baby has organs which are separate from yours.
These facts demonstrate that a preborn child is not simply part of a woman’s body, but a distinct individual who should have rights of his or her own (Hot Topics on Abortion).
Some Arguments from the Pro-Life side”
* The fetus is a human being from conception, this makes abortion murder and that is immoral and illegal.
* If the pregnancy was the mistake of the mother, she should have to deal with the consequences.
* If abortions are accepted and easy to obtain, people will use them as a form of birth control.
* All babies are special, a woman could abort a fetus that could have been someone of great importance.
* Many religions do not endorse abortions or some forms of birth control.
Some Arguments from the Pro-Choice side:
* Letting a baby be born into an unwanted home is cruel and could lead to later neglect.
* The fetus is not a human being yet; it cannot live outside the uterus on its own.
* It is the woman’s body and therefore she should be free to do what she deems necessary in any situation.
* In cases of rape or incest, a baby could remind the woman of the horrible event she had...