Reading Comprehension 8
1. Why is it important for an organization to have effective communication?
Communication is an asset in making sure that what you want is being passed on correctly to lower employees as well as confirming any information to those above you. It’s also an easy way in keeping up with what, where, and how your staff is doing.
2. Discuss the pros and cons of the grapevine.
The grapevine is a useful tool in keeping an informal eye on what may be going on but information may not be totally accurate so you cannot depend on any information that you obtain from it.
3. How can supervisors develop high levels of credibility among their employees?
By not only talking or writing but also acting on what it is that they are needing ...view middle of the document...
This can cause employees to no longer have interest, respect, or effort to perform the required task.
6. Suggest three or more different techniques for helping supervisors listen more effectively.
Don’t interrupt while the employee is talking, don’t assume what they are needing to talk to you about, and don’t guess about what their intentions are.
7. How would you communicate differently with employees who are primarily visual, auditory, or kinesthetic?
I would use my visual communication with those employees that learn better from powerpoints or boards. Auditory communication would be used for those who only need be told verbally. Employees who need a more hands on approach I would use kinesthetic communication.
8. Are there any conditions under which a supervisor should refrain from giving orders? If so, what are they?
Don’t make it a struggle for who is in power, avoid a casual manner, watch your words and tone of voice, don’t assume that the employee understands, seek immediate feedback, don’t give too many orders, provide just enough detail, avoid conflicting instructions, carefully select the recipient, and don’t flaunt your authority.
9. Does listening have any role in the process of giving orders?
Yes, employees may have constructive suggestions about pros or cons to your orders. Taking in consideration of how it will affect those who are under your supervision is important.
10. Discuss the pros and cons of using e-mail for employee communications.
Supervisors can inform employees from nearly anywhere in the world immediately. Unfortunately, this can lead to some people feeling no separation from their work and home lives.