ANTH 350 7980 Health, Illness, and Healing (2158)
Stage 1: Ethnographic Assessment
An inventory of health/illness related product in the household
In an ordinary household, it is common to find medication, medical devices, and or food supplements associated to a specific health-related condition or illness. An assessment of my household reveals the following products:
Vitamin C, Multivitamin, Pottassium, iron
Blood Pressure Monitor
Weight management magazine
First-Aid Guide book
Organic cook foods
Fresh ...view middle of the document...
Health/illness Related Conversation
Me: I have been feeling so tired of late
Dad: Treat your body, the way you want it to treat you. You need to allow your body to rest and you need to eat right
Me: I do rest dad and I eat when I can
Dad: If you take care of your body, it will take care of you.You need to engage in proper feeding, rest and exercise.
Mum: You should start by taking a heavy breakfast every like I always tell me
Me: That is so hard to accomplish with my busy schedule. I prefer to grab a cup of coffee on my way out and am good
* My family enjoys reduced gym rates at the local gym facility since my parents made significant financial contribution to its constructions. The discounted rates motivate every family member to visit the gym.
* My family has also struggled to manage a family health insurance policy as they are very expensive. In most instances, the family has to top up the medical bill as the medical cover is not adequate. The realization that an unforeseen illness can drain the family’s finances motivates all family members to be cautious of their health.
* We strive to keep warm during the cold season.
* We also strive to exercise and eat a healthy diet. Every Saturday, my family sets time aside for physically engaging family activities such as bike riding and basketball. The monthly community competitions also ensure that the family engages in family and individual sports activities.
* We also strive to eat organic home-made meals
* Engagement in Yoga
* Take a day off the daily work
* Take a healthy and balanced diet
* My family lives in a moderately polluted area due to the numerous industries around the area. In the morning, it is easy to see the disturbing effects of air pollution as the morning sun struggles amid the smog. The rusty roofs are also evident of the extent of the pollution. The community believes that the air pollution is responsible for the prevalence of respiratory complications such as asthma.
* Regardless of the pollution, the community strives to maintain a clean environment. The garbage is collected every week and the streets are cleaned on a daily basis. Once a month, the community members engage in community service activities that includes cleaning the roads, garbage collection and pruning of trees and flowers. The exercise guarantee a disease free community.
* The local government also works with the local health agencies to provide wellness programs. The wellness...