Sherwin-Williams was founded in 1866, by Henry Sherwin and was joined 4 years later by Edward Williams. Sherwin Williams makes paints and coatings worldwide and has developed many new pigments, lacquers, and enamels. Today the company produces 130,000 products and has over $5 billion in sales. Sherwin-Williams operates over 2300 stores and has thousands of external customers, some of which include Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Sears as well as automotive and tire stores. The company also makes automotive finishes to wood sealers and paint brushes to rollers. They employee over 25,000 employees world wide and are the number 2 paint supplier in the world and number 1 in ...view middle of the document...
Sherwin-Williams is also responsible for Dutch Boy, which is sold at all Sears stores. Minwax and Thompson's Water Seal were recently acquired by Sherwin-Williams in 1996. All these products are made by Sherwin Williams and are brand recognizable with their name only.
Sherwin-Williams has always sold just the right products for its stores. Never getting to involved in thing it is not good at, however trying new things when needed. Like for example aerospace products and automotive finishes.
According to the Sherwin-Williams web site in the automotive section: "Sherwin-Williams is committed to expanding brand recognition worldwide." Sherwin-Williams is found in most all of South America and some of the Asia Markets and Europe. This is mainly through distributing our product or licensees with other countries. Sherwin-Williams does however have some subsidiaries that operate over seas.
That all said and done, Sherwin-Williams does over 60% of its sales through its own stores. Selling anything from paint to wallpaper and brushes to carpet. In the United States, Sherwin-Williams does not sell its own paint from anywhere but its own stores. The rest of the 40% makes up the private label business. This is where the paint plant of Sherwin-Williams will make paint for lets say Wal-Mart. This is done through the brand name ColorPlace. This paint is made just for Wal-Mart and they do all the marketing for their product. The difference is that it does not have that it is made by Sherwin-Williams', just that it was packaged for Wal-Mart. They also do this for Kmart, Ace Hardware, or just about any company like these.
Sherwin-Williams relies heavily on the name brand recognition: KRYLON, Dutch Boy and so on. However the Sherwin-Williams stores relies on the quality and service of each store. When people think of the employees that work at a Sherwin-Williams store they know that they are knowledgable to know what paint they will need. In looking at the job descriptions of Sherwin-Williams they are required to take classes such as tinting and mixing, customer service, spray equipment, and wall covering. These are just a few classes that are listed.