OVERVIEW OF SIWES
The Student Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) was established by Industrial Training Fund (ITF) in 1973 to solve the problem of lack of adequate practical skills preparatory for employment in industries by Nigerian graduates of tertiary institutions. It is an acceptable skill training program which forms part of the approved minimum academic standard in various degree programs for all Nigerian universities, polytechnics and college of education to acquire industrial skills and experience in their various disciplines.
The SIWES program involves the students, the university and the industry (employer). It is funded by the Federal Government ...view middle of the document...
7. To give room for social and academic interaction with professionals in their field and working environment and also to expose the reality of working places.
INTRODUCTION TO INTEGRATED DATA SERVICES LIMITED (IDSL)
Integrated Data Service Limited (IDSL) was incorporated in 1988 as one of the eleven subsidiary companies of the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) to offer geophysical and petroleum engineering services in the upstream sector of the oil industry. The company is a merger of the National Hydrocarbon Reserves Evaluation Centre (NHREC), the Seismic Data Processing Department (DPD), Party X (an indigenous seismic crew set up in 1978 by NNPC) and Party Y (a second crew setup in 1984 by NNPC). The functions of these former outfits were taken over by IDSL. IDSL is a service company that represents the NNPC in the service sector of the oil and gas industry.
VISION AND MISSION STATEMENTS
1. Vision: IDSL shall be the center of technological excellence in the provision of geophysical, geological, reservoir engineering, data Storage and management services in the global oil and gas industry, leveraging on the best talents in Nigeria and internationally.
2. Mission: IDSL operates commercially and markets world-class geophysical, geological, reservoir engineering, data storage and management services.
IDSL currently operates a 100% wholly owned seismic acquisition crew. The subsidiary is also in joint venture with multinational oil and gas servicing companies in Nigeria including:
1. United Geophysical Nigeria Limited (UGNL)
4. Western Geco
5. Pioneer-Alfa Petroleum Services Limited (PPS)
6. Bureau of Geophysical Prospecting (BGP)
STRUCTURE OF INTEGRATED DATA SERVICES LIMITED (IDSL)
IDSL is headed by a Managing Director (MD) who is supported by two Executive Directors namely Executive Director Operations (EDO) and Executive Director Services (EDS). The two Executive Directors oversee the affairs of the two divisions in IDSL – Operations Division and Services Division.
The following are the departments supervised by the managing director’s office:
1. Internal Audit Department (IAD).
2. Material Management Department (MMD).
3. Planning and Budget Monitoring Department (PBMD).
4. Company Secretariat and Legal Department (CSLD).
5. Research and Marketing Department (RMD).
Departments in Operations Division:
1. Data Acquisition Department (DAD).
2. Data Processing Department (DPD).
3. Reservoir Engineering Services Department (RESD).
4. Applied Computer Services Department (ACSD).
5. Health Safety and Environment Department (HSED).
Departments in Services Division:
1. Human Resources Department (HRD).
2. Public Affairs Department (PAD).
3. Finance and Accounts Department (FAD).
4. Administrative Services Department (ASD).
5. Security Services Department (SSD).
Fig 1.1: Organizational Chart
MATERIAL MANAGEMENT DEPARTMENT
PLANNING AND BUDGET MONITORING DEPARTMENT