Social Science i.e Psychology, history, political science, anthropology,
Economics: sustains capitalism – 70%
Systematic study of human society
• Point of view known as “the sociological perspective”
• Sociologist Peter Berger describes the sociological perspective as: seeing general in the particular or looking at the familiar in the strange.
• Individuals are unique, but society shapes the lives of people.
(Rich, poor, genders, executives, and faculty.
• Sociological perspectives can show us patterns
-of clothes people decide to wear.
• By examining patterns scientifically we can predict human behavior and understand how society guides and shapes ...view middle of the document...
- Single people, greater risk than married people ~ over 100 yrs still true.
- White Anglo Saxon people, males are more likely to commit suicide.
In Sociology… psychological reasoning is psychopathology
Cause and effect
Early sociologist want to know how society operates
Free will: will; soul directs human behavior
- In religions, people free to choose good or evil
Determinism: position that events in the world (human behavior) determined by physical cause
• All events can be discovered and analyzed techniques of science
French social thinker ~ coined the term “sociology”
- Describe new way of thinking
- He was a young academic discipline - newer than othr soc sci
Theological stage: (middle ages) religious views of society expressed
Metaphysical stage: (renaissance) society natural or unnatural
Scientific: (Copernicus, Newton) to study society
• Comte favored scientific approach of positivism when studying society.
Positivism: assertion that science rather than any other type of human understanding, in path of knowledge
• As a positivist Comte believed society operates according to laws that govern physical world like gravity and other laws of nature.
Theory: statement on how and why specific facts are related