1.1 Background of the study
A table cloth is a piece of material designed to spread on a dinning table before laying out tableware and food. Some are mainly ornamental coverings which may also help protect the table from scratches and stains.
It can be any other material used for covering the table. Table cloths are among some of the items that contribute to the decoration of an interior. They are always carefully selected to suit that interior in which they are put and the designs to enhance the beauty of a particular interior. Table cloths at a greater extent are used mainly in homes, churches, hospitals, hotels and restaurants among others.
...view middle of the document...
1.2 Statement of the problem
Artists despite the efforts they have made to decorate interiors with items like pictures, paintings, sculptures and wall hangings, they have not ventured into art of decorating table cloths for hotels and restaurants in Uganda.
The table cloths that are there are mainly imported into the country and they are decorated with designs that are dominated with western ideas and styles yet Uganda is endowed with a lot of natural food stuffs that can be a source of inspiration when developing the different designs for the table cloths.
1.3 Objectives of the study
1. To decorate fabrics for hotels and restaurants using the screen printing technique.
2. To use natural food stuffs as a source of inspiration to develop designs and choose colours for decorating the fabrics to be used to make the table cloths
1.4 Justification of the study
The Ugandan artists generally need to get involved in the art of decorating items like table cloths so as to break the monotony of the designs that are on market.
Table cloths deserve to be decorated with designs and colours derived from the inspirations of natural food stuffs using the screen printing techniques of fabric.
1.5 Significance of the study
The designs and colours help in breaking monotony and also enhance the beauty of the table cloths to create an environment that is conductive to the customers.
1.6 Limitations of the study
The most suitable fabrics for the table cloth were very expensive. This forced the researcher to use the most commonly available fabrics which are a bit cheap compared to other materials.
The project involved a lot of movement from place to place collecting and gathering information, materials and tools for the final project. All this required money which was not readily available.
1.7 Definition of terms
1. Designing means making a plan for particular purpose or use.
2. Drawing is the technique and process of making marks on a surface to produce images.
3. Fabric decoration s the patterning of an essentially plain fabric to render it more appealing.
4. Printing is the method of making a mark on a given surface like cloth or paper by use of pressure against the proposed surface.
5. A table cloth is a piece of cloth or similar material which is spread to cover the top part of the table.
2.1 Review of related literature
Most hotels have table cloths which are decorated with motifs of crisscross lines and flowers. Most of the table cloths found in hotels and restaurants are decorated with designs that are dominated with western ideas and styles.
Artists have not ventured into the art of decorated fabrics for hotels and restaurants in Uganda despite the efforts they have made to decorate interiors with items like pictures, paintings, sculptures, and wall hangings.
Uganda is endowed with a lot of natural food stuffs like ripe...