AT THE UNIVERSITY OF SANTO THOMAS 1877-1882
* MOTHER’S OPPOSITION TO HIGHER EDUCATION
After graduating with the highest honors from the Ateneo, Rizal had to go to the university of Santo Thomas in order to prepare himself for a career. Both Don Francisco and Paciano wanted that Jose should pursue higher learning. But Doña Teodora did not want him to study more. She had a premonition that too much knowledge would imperil her son’s life. If he gets to know too much, they will cut off his head.
RIZAL’S ENTER THE UNIVERSITY
* April 1877 – Rizal was nearly 16 y.o. taking Philosophy and Letters. He enrolled the course for two reasons :
a. his father liked it
b. ...view middle of the document...
One dark night, he dimly perceived the figure of a man. Not knowing the person due to darkness, he did not salute. It was the Lt. Guardia Civil. Suddenly, the man whipped out a sword and brutally slashed Jose on the back. The wound lasted for two weeks.
* TO THE FILIPINO YOUTH ( A LA JUVENTUD FILIPINA) 1879.
Rizal’s poem, A La Juventud Filipina won the prize of silver pen. It is the first great poem in Spanish written by a Filipino and it gives nationalistic concept that the Philippines is the “fatherland of the Filipinos.
* THE COUNCIL OF GOD’S (1880)
Rizal joined the literary contest of Artistic Literary Lyceum to commemorate the 4th centennial death of Cervantes, the author of Don Quixote.The prize was awarded to him because of his superiority over the other. He was given a GOLD RING engraved the bust of cervantes.
He was very happy for he proved the fallacy of the alleged Spanish superiority over the Filipino and Filipino can hold his own in fair competition against all races.
* OTHER RIZALIAN LITERARY WORKS
* JUNTO A PASIG (BESIDE THE PASIG)- a drama which was staged by the Ateneans on Dec.8, 1880 for the celebration of annual Feast day of Immaculate Conception, Patroness of Ateneo.
* A FILIPINAS (SONNET- 1880) urging all Filipino artist to glorify the Philippines.
* ABD-EL-AZIS Y MAHOMA (POEM- 1879) in honor to the Ateneo Patroness
* AL M.R.P. PABLO RAMON, RECTOR DEL ATENEO, EN SUS DIAS. A poem wrote for Father Ramon who had been kind and helpful t him.
* CHAMPION OF THE FILIPINO STUDENTS
Filipinos insulted by the Spanish students by INDIO, CHONGO!
In contrast, Filipino students called the Spaniards as KASTILA, BANGUS!
Rizal participated in that student brawls. Owing to his skills in fencing and wrestling was particularly conspicuous in many fights.
COMPAñERISMO IN 1880 – secret society of Filipino Students where Rizal was the chief. They called themselves as the “COMPANIONS OF JEHU”.
* UNHAPPY DAYS AT UST
He was unhappy at this Dominican institution of high learning because
1. Dominican professors were hostile to him
2. Filipino students were racially discriminated
3. method of instruction was obsolete and repressive.
Rizal, the most brilliant of the Ateneo failed to win the scholastic honors though his grades were all Excellent.
* FACULTY OF MEDICINE
1ST YEAR : 3rd YEAR:
Physics – Fair Gen. Pathology - Fair
Chemistry – Excellent Therapeutics - Excellent
Natural History – Fair Operation - Good
Anatomy 1 – Good
Dissection 1 – Good
2nd YEAR : 4th YEAR:
Anatomy 2 – Good Medical Pathology – V.G
Dissection 2 – Good Surgical Pathology- V.G
Physiology – Good Obstetrics – V.G
Private Hygiene – Good
Public Hygiene – Good
* DECISION TO STUDY ABROAD
* His uncle, Antonio Rivera, Leonor’s father, encouraged him to study abroad. Paciano and Saturnina were of similar...