THE RELUCTANT FUNDAMENTALIST – MOHSIN HAMID
* Decline from a majestic, imperial capital
* Poor, funded
* Rich history: withstood invasions, occupations – implied strength
* Represent a fallen empire
* Important for the way it changes throughout the novel
* Beginning of the evening:
* busy, well lit, bustling with people, amicable
* Changez and American newly established relationship: decidedly friendly
* Night progresses:
* Surroundings: more complex and dangerous
* Relationship: more complex and fraught
* Night advaces:
* Changez falling out of love with America, tension between ...view middle of the document...
He feels like he is a young New Yorker with the city at his feet.
* He goes out with Erica
* In Manila, he acts more like an American and realizes he is play-acting.
* After 9/11: he smiled
* He is treated with racism
* When coming back to Lahore, he feels that he has become an entitled and unsympathetic American, a foreigner.
* Morality troubles him: people may lose jobs because of his valuation
* In Valparaiso: he realizes he is a modern-day janissary thanks to Jaun-Bautista
* His love for Erica is rejected, Erica leaves him.
* He quits his job, goes back to Lahore, works as a university lecturer and does his best to stop America
* Sits with his back against the wall, constantly watchful, has a bulge in his jacket where a holster would be
* Question whether Changez is telling him the truth
* At the end, the American reaches for something metallic in his jacket.
* Social magnetism, wealthy
* Wants to be a novelist
* Erica’s love for Chris prevents her from becoming intimate with Changez, both physically and emotionally
* An illness of spirit
* Represent the detached from reality and self-absorbed part of America
* Changez’s boss at Underwood Samson
* Dirty poor background
* Accomplished his American dreams, become very rich
* Supportive of Changez in the most adverse situation
* Professional, able to evaluate people, not emotional in work
* Changez’s colleague and friend at Underwood Samson
* Blackman, outsider but he fits in
* Runs music business
* Affect a strong change in Changez
* His kindness toward Changez is surprising