BSRM Steels Ltd.
Work Plan for SWOT Analysis
Duration: 2 months (15th February to 15th April)
Project Manager: Mr. Mahmud
SWOT Steps/Activities | Data Sources | Data Collection Method | Responsible Person | Working Group | Logistics Supports | Required Fund | Timeline | Remarks |
Analysis of General Environment | Primary & Secondary | Survey, govt. & regulatory publications, etc. | Mr. Adnan & Mr. Masud | 4 | Transport, survey instruments, technological support. | TK. 100,000 | 15th Feb to 14th March | Info gathered from both sources. |
Analysis of Industrial Environment | Secondary | SEC publications, industry competitive analysis, business journal, ...view middle of the document...
In the high-tech world of today, there cannot be any compromise on quality. At BSRM this realization has let to ensuring that every product measures up to the highest International Standards. As far as management excellence of the company is concerned, improvement and innovations are always in the first priority. In 1987,old manual mill machineries were dismantled and switched over to automatic re-rolling technology and increased capacity to cater to the growing demand of the country and also to keep pace with the fast developing modern technology throughout the world, which enhanced the production capacity from 15000 M. Tones to 60,000M Tones per annum. This plant was commissioned at a cost of over Tk.11 crores without any long-term loan from any Govt. owned financial institutions.
BSRM Steels Ltd is constructed with very sophisticated machineries and fully automated. Its production capacity is 5, 50,000 tons per annum of 500 grade steel reinforcing bar. The 3,700 million taka project is one of the largest mills of its kind in South Asia and the largest engineering industry in Bangladesh. Two types of Billets are used-one is imported from different countries and another one is produced at BISCO (a sister concern of BSRM Group). BSRM Steels is located on a 10-acre industrial plot at Fouzdarhat along the Dhaka-Chittagong highway. The whole Building of this BSRM Steels is imported from Vietnam. That means an already set up plant which was in Vietnam has been imported from the pillar to every nut and bolt of the industry. BSRM Steels is a public limited company and is a unit of the BSRM Group of Companies. The finish of this unit is Deformed Bar too.
Lots of prestigious infrastructure projects are using their products and many infrastructure built by BSRM products like Bahadarhat Flyover Project, 15 KM long Gulistan-Jatrabari Flyover, Port Facilitation Project, BPDB Hathazari Power Plant Project, BPDB Dohazari Power Plant Project, World Trade Centre Chittagong etc. and major portion of steel re-bars used for construction of Shah Amanat Bridge (3rd Karnafuli Bridge) was supplied by BSRM.
Bangladesh Steel Industry
* Market size: BDT 12,000 crore.
* Annual demand: 2.50 million MT of mild steel (MS).
* Roughly 295 operating re-rolling mills at present.
* Most of the mills are small workshops with capacities of 5,000-10,000 metric tonnes and outdated production method producing 40-grade lower quality mild steel products. Nevertheless, these small mills survive in the absence of competition from quality steel products.
* Many entrepreneurs in the flourishing steel industry are converting from manual to automatic factories, or setting up automated ones, at a time when steel is in demand in Bangladesh and worldwide. Although the first automation in the Bangladesh steel industry took place in the 1980s, the trend accelerated in recent years.
Bangladesh has huge potential steel market. The demand for...