This groundbreaking new study by Marketdata examines the $1.2 billion business of worksite-based weight loss programs. This niche segment is one of the few bright spots in a flat overall weight loss market, as employers get more serious about reducing health insurance claims related to obesity. The Affordable Care Act is likely to spur more demand for these programs as well. Obesity-related absenteeism, lost productivity and medical conditions such as diabetes is a huge and expensive issue for employers.
The study examines market revenues/growth from 2005 to 2018 forecast, in-depth competitor profiles and rankings, obesity trends and the cost to employers, market structure/types of weight ...view middle of the document...
Nature & Structure of the Worksite Weight Loss Market ($75) 19-26
• Status report and summary
• Programs by large commercial diet companies, health insurers, wellness program providers
• Market Structure: Description of the different types of worksite weight loss
Programs now offered
• Findings of The Rand Health “Workplace Wellness Programs Study: cost savings, lbs. lost per person, ROI
• Screening activities to identify health risks (measurement of body weight, for example)
• Preventive interventions to address health risks (weight reduction counseling)
• Health promotion activities
• Kaiser Family Foundation Study findings
• Likely effects of the Affordable Care Act
• Avg. cost to the employer per person, financial incentives used
• Overview of wellness programs and typical components
• Employee attitudes toward worksite weight loss programs
• Paying Employees To Lose Weight - Office Weight Loss Contests, Sample program: Healthy Wage
The National Cost of Obesity ($75) 27-37
- Scope of the problem, number of people affected, percent of population, obesity rate trends, costs in medical claims, lost productivity, absenteeism, etc.
- Medicare covers obesity counseling, private insurers to follow in 2014
- Dieter trends, preferences and demographics: 2012-2013
- Findings of Duke University study on costs of obesity
- Findings of Employee Benefit Research Institute survey,
- Demand for worksite weight loss programs: participation by men/women, by race, income of employees
- Employee backlash against employer programs.
Table of Contents
Introduction, Scope, Methodology 1-5
Executive Overview ($300) 6-39
- Outlook for new 2103 diet season, discussion of rise of MLM firms, DIY trends, fastest-Growing products & companies
- National cost of obesity, summary of market developments & trends of 2011-2012
- Dieter demographics, reasons for increased obesity, most popular dieting methods,
- 2006-2010 $ size of market and its 9 segments, forecasts 2016 growth rates for segments
- Historical market revenues $ size, by segment: 1989-2012
- Cost of main types of diet programs, no. of dieters by type program
- Table: Ranking of top diet companies (2008-2010 revenues)
- Snapshot of major operating ratios of commercial weight loss centers
- Market Segment Outlooks for 2012, 2013, 2016: commercial chains, diet soft drinks & artificial sweeteners, low-cal foods, meal replacements & appetite suppressants mkt., medical weight loss programs (hospitals & clinics, bariatric surgery, Rx diet drugs), status of diet food...